What’s going on for baby?
At this stage of development, baby will express affection and frustration towards their parents and caregivers.
They’ll want to move and explore, but they also need to feel secure — so they’ll keep an eye on mum or dad and come back to them for reassurance.
How can parents and whānau help?
- Understand that baby has feelings as intense as an adult’s.
- Try to stay calm and acknowledge baby’s feelings.
- Enjoy kisses and cuddles with baby — you’re giving them a reward for their love and attention.
- Stick with your limits when baby is frustrated at not getting what they want.
- Stay calm and show them love and warmth, even when their behaviour may be irritating.