- To understand that parents are a child’s first and most important playmate.
- To know that all children do most of their early learning simply through playing.
In this workshop your group will design a fridge magnet or poster with the message ‘Do things together that you enjoy’.
Start by asking the group:
- What are some of the things that you enjoy doing with your pēpi or tamaiti?
- As a child, were there things you enjoyed doing with your parents?
Make a group list of the things that participants mention.
Talk about what you might put on your fridge magnet or poster, and use the resources listed below to design it.
As a group, discuss what it’s like when participants and their child are doing something together that they both enjoy. Ask:
- What do you think it’s like for your pēpi or tamaiti?
- What do you think pēpi learns when those moments happen?
Use the Take time to be a dad and Love being a mum books for inspiration. Ask the group:
- What are people doing together in these booklets?
- How does it make you feel to see happy parents and children doing things together?
To make the poster or fridge magnet: Paper, Crayons, Felt pens, Coloured pencils
- Fridge magnet: ‘Do things together that you enjoy’
- Take time to be a dad … it’s life changing
- Love being a mum … it’s worth every moment