- To understand how children grow and develop.
- To enjoy children’s development and have realistic expectations of them.
- To provide children with age-appropriate activities.
Watch the ‘Stay and play’ DVD clip on the ‘posting’ activity. This clip gives an introduction to the senses. Discuss the following questions as a group, and record the learnings on a whiteboard or flipchart. Ask the participants:
- What are the 5 senses?
- What do babies learn through each sense?
- What activities can we provide to help this learning?
Ask whānau to look through the SKIP Whakatipu booklet at the age relevant to their pēpi, particularly the ‘Ngā mahi a pēpi’ section.
- What are the ideas?
- What are some of the ways you can help this learning?
Look at SKIP Whakatipu booklet Te Kōhuri 2, page 20.
- What is the message here?
- Do you think you could do this with younger or older children?
- SKIP Whakatipu booklets