Why do it?
- It’s an opportunity to create something personal for baby in just a few minutes.
- It’s an opportunity for parents to explore their feelings with a friend.
- Thinking about baby as a person early helps to build a positive relationship.
How to do it
Sit with a friend (or write the poem by yourself).
- Step 1: Think of 1 word that relates to your chosen topic.
- Step 2: Your friend adds 2 words that follow the first word.
- Step 3: Think of 3 more words that relate to the topic.
- Step 4: Your friend adds 2 more words.
- Step 5: Finish the poem with 1 word.
- An example:
When you arrive
Using more reo Māori
|Kotahi te kupu||One word|
|E rua ngā kupu||Two words|
|E toru ngā kupu||Three words|
|E rima ngā rarangi||Five lines|
|Aroha||Love, affection, compassion, empathy|
|Rongorongo||Hear, smell, feel|
|Mina||to desire, wish for|
|Whakangākau||To show affection for|
|Manaaki||Support, take care of, protect|