Why do it?
- Thinking about your baby as a person helps you start building a positive relationship with them even before they’re born.
- The quality of the relationship between baby and their parents/whānau is the most important factor in baby’s future happiness and wellbeing.
How to do it
- Write about your feelings while you’re pregnant.
- Write to baby about what hopes and dreams you have for them.
- If you were given three wishes to make for your baby, what would they be?
- You could decorate your letter and frame it for baby’s wall.
- You could keep your letter in the treasure box from the treasure box activity.
Using more reo Māori
|Tuhituhi a ringa||Write by hand|
|Aroha||Love, affection, compassion, empathy|
|Rongorongo||Hear, smell, feel|
|Mina||To desire, wish|
|Whakangākau||To show affection for|
|Manaaki||To support, take care of, protect|
|Atawhai||To show kindness to|
|Waka huia||Treasure box|
|Whakamātakitaki||Exhibit, display for viewing|
|Wāhi whakaruruhau||Safe place|
|Ngā wawata||Dreams, wishes|
|Ā tōna wā||A time in the future|