The Ministry of Health website is full of helpful information for new parents. Taking time to get familiar with the contents will allow you to guide whānau to relevant information, which will also align with what their Well Child/Tamariki Ora nurse is sharing with them.
The first year: Information and advice to support you during baby’s first year
This page starts with a video where 3 different whänau share their experiences of parenting in the first year. Some of the topics they talk about are:
- looking after yourself
- what to expect from your Well Child/Tamariki Ora visit
- safe sleeping for young babies
- coping with crying
- coping when baby starts teething.
Information on this page also covers topics such as:
- settling baby
- being a great dad
- when your baby keeps on crying
- crying can mean your baby is unwell
- smoke-free environments
- postnatal depression
- never shake a baby
- sex after having a baby.
- The Ministry of Health and the Health Promotion Agency also have printed resources that support many of these topics. You can access these through the Health Ed website.